ECON5004: Communication in EconomicsSemester 2, 2019Instructor: Denny Lie1Assignment: Public/Professional Writing ProjectAssignment OutlineStudents are required to write a short essay (600-750 words) on an economic topic of their choice with the general public or a professional audience in mind.1 The essay will be developed in two phases, with an initial draft submitted to the tutor (for review and feedback), and a final version submitted in the last week of the course.Students are encouraged to select an essay topic and format that best fits their personal and professional interests. The potential subject matter is broad, and can coincide with earlier topics in the course (e.g., from one of the three earlier assessments). The potential format is also flexible students could pretend they are writing an intelligent blog post, an op-ed for the newspaper, or a briefing or memo in a business setting. The core requirement is that the essay use economic reasoning and argumentation to make its main points (especially, that there be a central argument to the essay), and that it be written in a style accessible to a non-specialist audience. Hence there is more room for creativity in style and content than for the academic essay. In particular, students are encouraged to use techniques to catch and maintain a readers attention and convey ideas in an accessible way, as discussed in particular in the week 9 lecture.The final submission will be capped at 750 words, exclusive of literature references. Students are again expected to follow the Chicago style for citations.
- ISB PGP Pro Admission Essay
- Explain the steps taken to assess a risk from a quantitative perspective where monetary and numeric values are assigned and discuss the formulas used to quantify risk.
- Identify a professional practice use of the theories/concepts.
- “Evaluate contemporary societal attitudes towards adolescent sexuality.
- Write a paper that summarizes and identifies the claims within a text, weighs the use of evidence to support the claim, and presents your degree of agreement/disagreement.
- Write an FBA report.You will begin by describing a hypothetical case where you would conduct an FBA (identifying information, reason for referral, and background information). Next, plan out the FBA using direct and indirect measures of behavior.
- What do you think is the biggest change in society due to digitalization?
- Use your search engine (e.g., Google) and review summaries of the Ebola Outbreak 2014-2015 and the return of infected/disease-exposed American citizens (AMCITS) to the U.S. A significant challenge of a pathogen-related or chemical event will be the nature and number of casualties.
- Select one sexuality related issue that is the subject of considerable disagreement in contemporary society (e.g., pornography, prostitution, extramarital sex or other issue). Provide a discussion of the issue from the standpoint of both the Restrictive and Permissive sexual ideologies.
- Define and discuss (with examples) the Boston Consulting Group’s (BCG) Growth-Share Matrix and its significance and limitations in marketing strategy.