Battle Royal by Ralph Ellison, p. 303;
The Lottery by Shirley Jackson, p. 315;
Sonnys Blues by James Baldwin, p. 455; and
The Things They Carried by Tim OBrien, p. 846.
3. Thats a chunk, but not too much and I used to assign Roberto Bolanos Nazi Literature in the Americas and thats over two hundred pages. The Ellison is a short excerpt from the novel Invisible Man and the OBrien is from a collection of stories bearing that name. Jackson was a master of short fiction and the author of the finest haunted house novel of the twentieth century, The Haunting of Hill House. Baldwin was a novel and essayist and a political activist.
4. Youve done quite a bit of work up to this point and read a lot of different things. These texts (the first and last are parts of larger works) are among the more provocative in this anthology. Once youve read them, read the short excerpt on deconstruction in the anthology, on p. 948.
5. Deconstruction is a complicated and troublesome approach to criticism, philosophy, and literature that takes a long time to get, and the book kinda sorta gives you what you need to know. See if this helps:
6. OKAY THEN. I dont expect the short description here or in the book to convey all the complexities of deconstruction, but I would like you to give it a try. The four texts we are reading this week want you to deconstruct things. Each of them provocatively attacks or undermines something about the world. I want you to read all of them and then write on Jacksons The Lottery plus one of the other three. Heres the question: Where are these texts provoking us to examine fundamental assumptions about our lives and culture? What words and phrases point us toward an unexamined value, probably contained in a binary like masculine/feminine? Deconstruction usually starts with key words and phrases and radiates out from there, so look for the choice words that help you out.
TO RECAP: Read everything then take The Lottery and one of the other three and describe how the texts invite us to deconstruct meaning; find something hidden, a value or assumption that is a foundation of other values.
- The Importance of Considering the Level of Protection Desired When Determining Spare Part Quantities
- The Impact of Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)/Electronic Commerce (EC) on Logistics and System Support
- ISB PGP Pro Admission Essay
- Explain the steps taken to assess a risk from a quantitative perspective where monetary and numeric values are assigned and discuss the formulas used to quantify risk.
- Identify a professional practice use of the theories/concepts.
- “Evaluate contemporary societal attitudes towards adolescent sexuality.
- Write a paper that summarizes and identifies the claims within a text, weighs the use of evidence to support the claim, and presents your degree of agreement/disagreement.
- Write an FBA report.You will begin by describing a hypothetical case where you would conduct an FBA (identifying information, reason for referral, and background information). Next, plan out the FBA using direct and indirect measures of behavior.
- What do you think is the biggest change in society due to digitalization?
- Use your search engine (e.g., Google) and review summaries of the Ebola Outbreak 2014-2015 and the return of infected/disease-exposed American citizens (AMCITS) to the U.S. A significant challenge of a pathogen-related or chemical event will be the nature and number of casualties.