Fruit of the Poisonous Tree The exclusionary rule is a mechanism for protecting 4th Amendment rights by, in some circumstances, disallowing illegally gathered evidence from being used against a defendant at trial. Consider the following scenario: A Case of Who did it? Mary Ellis, a widow who resides with her adult son William, awakens on a Saturday morning and goes to her walk-in closet, where she finds a man whom she recognizes as a neighbor, Clyde Stevens, lying on the floor unresponsive. Mrs. Ellis calls 911. Minutes later, police and EMS personnel arrive. Mr. Stevens is pronounced dead from an apparent stabbing, as he has a large butcher knife protruding from his back. Mrs. Ellis is transported to the hospital for observation, as she is quite distraught. Continued. Crime scene investigators actively process the scene. In William’s bedroom, technicians develop a blood fingerprint adjacent to a light switch, using an amino acid stain, after locating the print using the absorptive properties of blood and a portable argon laser. The crime scene investigator photographs the print and recovers a sample of the blood for DNA analysis. The print is from the right index finger of William Ellis, and DNA analysis matches the blood to Clyde Stevens. Write a 1,0501,400 word essay incorporating the following: Describe 1) the exclusionary rule, and 2) the fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine, including an explanation of how they differ. Explain whether the exclusionary rule and/or fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine apply to the evidence recovered in A Case of Who did it?. If so, how? If police conduct an illegal search, are they civilly liable for their actions? Briefly describe the steps that you would have taken as a responding officer to the Ellis scene to ensure the admissibility of all evidence. Format your work consistent with APA guidelines. Include a title and reference page. Cite a minimum of three reliable sources within the body of your paper using in-text citations where appropriate. Save your document in the following format: last name first name assignment. (Example:SmithJohn_Unit5_Assignment.) Submit your Assignment to your instructor by selecting the Unit 5: Assignment in the Dropbox by the end of Unit 5.
- The Importance of Considering the Level of Protection Desired When Determining Spare Part Quantities
- The Impact of Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)/Electronic Commerce (EC) on Logistics and System Support
- ISB PGP Pro Admission Essay
- Explain the steps taken to assess a risk from a quantitative perspective where monetary and numeric values are assigned and discuss the formulas used to quantify risk.
- Identify a professional practice use of the theories/concepts.
- “Evaluate contemporary societal attitudes towards adolescent sexuality.
- Write a paper that summarizes and identifies the claims within a text, weighs the use of evidence to support the claim, and presents your degree of agreement/disagreement.
- Write an FBA report.You will begin by describing a hypothetical case where you would conduct an FBA (identifying information, reason for referral, and background information). Next, plan out the FBA using direct and indirect measures of behavior.
- What do you think is the biggest change in society due to digitalization?
- Use your search engine (e.g., Google) and review summaries of the Ebola Outbreak 2014-2015 and the return of infected/disease-exposed American citizens (AMCITS) to the U.S. A significant challenge of a pathogen-related or chemical event will be the nature and number of casualties.