BUS/MAG 47 Case Study Final Paper
The Fitzgerald Machine Company
Topic: Production/Operations Management
Characters: Don Bradish, recently hired to remedy problems meeting scheduled
Deliveries Jane Fitzgerald, VP of Operations, daughter of the company president
The Fitzgerald Machine Company is a $25MM per year custom metal fabrication shop. It
has a work force of 30 machinists and 15 office personnel Don Bradish was hired from
Peptine Corporation three months ago as Fitzgeralds production scheduler. His background
includes an undergraduate industrial engineering degree and three years of purchasing
experience with Peptine immediately after college. This made him a good fit for Fitzgeralds
needs. He was hired by Jane Fitzgerald, Vice President of Operations and daughter of the
Recently the company has been having difficulty meeting delivery schedule deadlines. Don was
hired to improve the companys performance in on-time deliveries. So far, he has been learning
the systems of the operations and studying possible solutions, but he has not yet determined
the best course of action to recommend. On Friday, June 21, a $300,000 order, which had been
in the shop for nearly two months, was scheduled for shipment. On the Wednesday before
scheduled delivery, the customer called and asked that delivery be delayed due to a labor
dispute and work stoppage at his location. Although he expected the strike to be settled within
one week or less, he was concerned that delivery of the order from Fitzgerald during the strike
might cause unnecessary misunderstandings in the labor dispute. Don discussed this request
with Jane, and they agreed to accommodate the customers request on the condition that the
customer agree to being billed on the originally scheduled delivery date and to pay on the
originally contracted payment terms. The customer accepted those terms.
On Friday morning, June 21, the production manager reported to Don that the order would
not be completed as scheduled and would probably require at least one more week to finish.
Concerned about the impact of this delay on his job status, Don decided to investigate the
cause of the delay before informing Jane of the problem. Before he could complete his inquiry,
Jane called to inform him that she had just mailed the invoice for the order as agreed. She also
suggested that Don negotiate with the customer a storage fee for the order, which would be
paid in addition to the billing arrangement. Don wondered what he should say to Jane next.
Write an 6-8 page paper (double-spaced, 11pt font) not including cover page and reference
page. Please use the APA format for your paper. Answer the following questions in your
What are the relevant facts?
What are the ethical issues?
Who are the primary stakeholders?
What are the alternatives?
What Are the Ethics of the alternatives?
What are the practical restraints?
What action should be taken?
- ISB PGP Pro Admission Essay
- Explain the steps taken to assess a risk from a quantitative perspective where monetary and numeric values are assigned and discuss the formulas used to quantify risk.
- Identify a professional practice use of the theories/concepts.
- “Evaluate contemporary societal attitudes towards adolescent sexuality.
- Write a paper that summarizes and identifies the claims within a text, weighs the use of evidence to support the claim, and presents your degree of agreement/disagreement.
- Write an FBA report.You will begin by describing a hypothetical case where you would conduct an FBA (identifying information, reason for referral, and background information). Next, plan out the FBA using direct and indirect measures of behavior.
- What do you think is the biggest change in society due to digitalization?
- Use your search engine (e.g., Google) and review summaries of the Ebola Outbreak 2014-2015 and the return of infected/disease-exposed American citizens (AMCITS) to the U.S. A significant challenge of a pathogen-related or chemical event will be the nature and number of casualties.
- Select one sexuality related issue that is the subject of considerable disagreement in contemporary society (e.g., pornography, prostitution, extramarital sex or other issue). Provide a discussion of the issue from the standpoint of both the Restrictive and Permissive sexual ideologies.
- Define and discuss (with examples) the Boston Consulting Group’s (BCG) Growth-Share Matrix and its significance and limitations in marketing strategy.