Dr. James Lovelock, a prominent scientist, and inventor of the electron capture detector developed the controversial Gaia Hypothesis nearly 50 years ago. The Gaia Hypothesis asserts that the Earths organic and inorganic components have evolved as a self-regulating system that dynamically maintains conditions that are suitable for its life. The system is a symbiotic whole that balances environmental processes to keep itself humming along, with no particular regard for humans. We are just part of the larger picture, although our meddling has the potential to disrupt Gaias equilibrium.
Your assignment is to view the video on the Gaia Hypothesis (above) and then
Reconstruct any one type of inductive pattern of reasoning (enumerative induction, statistical syllogism, causal argument, and/or analogy) that you detect in the video, using standard reconstruction format (premise 1, premise 2, premise n, conclusion). Please remember to identify what type of inductive pattern of reasoning you are reconstructing.
Evaluate the central argument of the Gaia Hypothesis in terms of the criteria our text offers for inductive arguments. Begin by defining the criteria for inductive reliability and strength that our text presents. Is the Gaia Hypothesis inductively reliable? Why or why not? Is it inductively strong? Why or why not?
- The Importance of Considering the Level of Protection Desired When Determining Spare Part Quantities
- The Impact of Electronic Data Interchange (EDI)/Electronic Commerce (EC) on Logistics and System Support
- ISB PGP Pro Admission Essay
- Explain the steps taken to assess a risk from a quantitative perspective where monetary and numeric values are assigned and discuss the formulas used to quantify risk.
- Identify a professional practice use of the theories/concepts.
- “Evaluate contemporary societal attitudes towards adolescent sexuality.
- Write a paper that summarizes and identifies the claims within a text, weighs the use of evidence to support the claim, and presents your degree of agreement/disagreement.
- Write an FBA report.You will begin by describing a hypothetical case where you would conduct an FBA (identifying information, reason for referral, and background information). Next, plan out the FBA using direct and indirect measures of behavior.
- What do you think is the biggest change in society due to digitalization?
- Use your search engine (e.g., Google) and review summaries of the Ebola Outbreak 2014-2015 and the return of infected/disease-exposed American citizens (AMCITS) to the U.S. A significant challenge of a pathogen-related or chemical event will be the nature and number of casualties.